Check out some of my favorite FREE programs for your PC, which are grouped into three categories:
- Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware
- Online Antivirus Scanners
- Free Software
If your computer suddenly acts strangely, immediately run your anti virus application to rule out viruses. Also run an online virus scanner as a supplement. Run again in SAFE MODE if necessary by turning off the computer and clicking the F8 key on restart.
If you're going to BUY an AV application, Norton Internet Security Suite is my favorite choice.
I recommend any of the following Free Anti Virus, Anti Malware and Firewall programs listed below for a secure PC. You should only use ONE Antivirus program and ONE Firewall. If you choose a different Firewall other than what comes with the PC such as Windows Firewall, then you must disable Windows Firewall. (Windows Firewall is good enough, so I would keep it.)
If your Anti Virus application freezes or stops working (usually due to a virus infection), try any of these free ONLINE Virus and Malware Scanners:
The following is a list of fabulous and free programs that are excellent substitutes for Microsoft products such as MS Office Suite, Windows, Windows Media Player and Uninstaller:
- LIBREOFFICE - Equivalent to Microsoft Office Suite, and it's free!
- UBUNTU - Free Linux Operating System. Try it on an old computer!
- REVO UNINSTALLER - Does a more thorough job than Microsoft's Add/Remove Programs.
- VLC MEDIA PLAYER - If you're having problems watching DVD movies due to CODEC problems, try this excellent open-source freebie.